Thursday 8 August 2013

{THROWBACK THURSDAY}: Time Flies When You're Making Cake

There's a lot of downsides to being the first-born. For example, your parents generally have no idea what they're doing the first go round and just wing it. They find their parenting style by trying them all out on you and hoping for the best...seriously, ask any parent. If you are child number one, you are the product of trial and error- and look how well you turned out! On the flip side, my favourite part of being the first-born is watching all my siblings grow up. I'm the oldest of five, with big gaps in between us, so I've been old enough to really experience all the fun and headaches as my brothers and sister have grown up. This week, "the middle ones" had their birthdays. These two are the closest in age out of all of us and their birthdays fall just three days apart. Naturally they've spent their whole lives fighting like cat and dog, but like all of us, I know they would do anything for each other (as long as it doesn't involve sharing!) This year I let them both pick whatever they wanted for their birthday cakes, and I actually think their choices reflect their personalities perfectly. On the one hand, we have a completely outrageous, massive, triple decker chocolate caramel crunch cake. On the other, a petite and chic lemon raspberry fondant number. They couldn't have gone in more opposite directions, which pretty much sums up the pair of them!

Triple Decker Chocolate Caramel Crunch Cake: Chocolate cake, salty-sweet caramel buttercream,
sponge toffee pieces, and caramel drizzle....can you say O.M.G.

I think it's been statistically proven that there is no creature on earth more irritating than a 13/14 year old boy...
but look how cute he used to be! He was pretty much as excited about this cake as he was about that light saber.
 
VSCO Cam is my new favourite app, can you tell?

On the other end of the scale, we have this on-trend, ombre chevron mini cake with glitter hearts!

This little girl and I have been unbelievably attached since she was born, even when I was away at school.
 Two girls in a sea of boys need to stick together!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment