Wednesday 6 June 2012

Happy Birthday to Me!

Today, well yesterday actually, I turned 22. It's a very anticlimactic birthday- there are no big obstacles that 22 helps you overcome, nothing to celebrate except getting that little bit older. In the space of three weeks I've graduated university and left a huge chapter of my life behind me, and as I get another year older I'm feeling very reflective about things. My oldest brother is graduating high school this week as well, which has me remembering that moment five years ago(five years, kill me...). When I was 16 years old, I wanted to go to pastry school. My family was having none of this, since I was good at school and could put that to use doing something academic. When I left high school, I had an offer to law school back in England and I was completely and utterly convinced that I would finish my Law with International Relations degree in three years, complete a BVC and become a barrister by the age of 22. If I had been more interested in tortious liability and less interested in finding the bottom of vodka bottles, maybe that's where I'd be right now. A couple of program changes and a relatively impressive but even more useless Arts degree later, I am about as far from being a barrister in London as possible and, ironically, I'm making a good portion of my living using my knack for pastry arts. I'm one of those annoying people who responds to things with 'everything happens for a reason' or 'what's meant to be will be', but I really really do believe it. If everything had gone to my 17-year-old plan, I would probably be spending my days miserably shuffling legal documents around. Have you ever read legislation or case law? It's about as entertaining as watching paint dry, except that at least paint is colourful. Things may not have gone exactly as I expected, but they obviously weren't meant to. This may not be where I thought I'd be five years ago, or even two years ago- but when I'm being approached by people wanting to help me take my hobby-turned-business to the next level, I can't help but think this might just be exactly where I'm meant to be after all. 

Yes...I made my own birthday cupcakes. But I needed something pretty
for the blog this week, in my own defense :)

I love how delicate the petals look on this kind of rose

When they come out symmetrical and even they look too good to eat!

Perfect for weddings or occasions :)

No comments:

Post a Comment