Monday 3 December 2012

Rustic Ruffles & A Photo Flashback!

October was a pretty busy month for me...finishing work, finishing cake orders, moving halfway around the world, you know- the usual. In all the excitement, it turns out I forgot all about my Thanksgiving Post! Since almost two months have gone by now, I'll spare you listing the things I'm thankful for- except that I want to say thank you to everyone who's been following and supporting this little venture over the past year or so! Today I decided simply to share the Thanksgiving treat I created for my family's festivities all those weeks ago, as well as some of my favourite MeowCakes moments from the last year!

Instead of a quirky thanksgiving themed cake or pumpkin cupcakes, this
year I decided to go for simple decadence:
Butter Pecan Dulce de Leche Cake with Whipped Vanilla Buttercream

Ruffles are a great way to decorate a cake when you don't want to cover
it in fondant. They still look luxurious, but it's 100% icing. Om.

To create this cake, I made a standard vanilla cake batter using brown sugar
instead of white. I baked a tray of butter pecans and added several handfuls
of them, finely chopped, to the batter. I then split a can of homemade dulce de
leche into thirds, mixed 1/3 into the batter and layered the rest with vanilla icing.
The result was a dense but fluffy cake with a rich nutty flavour and just the
right amount of caramel. Which is a lot. Success!

After-cake chats on the couch. My two fave little girls in the world! <3 

This baby shower tier picture is on my Pinterest page
and has something like 125 repins...while that's nothing
compared to the 70,000 repins of cheesecake-stuffed
strawberries, I'm pretty proud that something I've done
is making its way around the web :)

I always like to create flavours based on people's favourite desserts. When
I got 'bubblegum ice cream' as a request, these blue and pink marbled
beauties were the result, and they were a huge hit!
#becreative #hubbabubba

Smash cakes are becoming more and more popular these days- luckily
for the toddlers who get to smush and eat to their hearts' content when
they receive one!

This is my favourite way to decorate a cupcake with just icing- these
colourful roses fed all my lovely friends back in June when they came
to hang out with me while I bartended on my birthday... I seriously doubt
 anyone has ever had such a good time working on their birthday. <3 

Another favourite munchkin, Mr.Owen. Even though he used
to be a shy little thing, somehow he always got over it in time to
wolf down a cupcake...funny that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment